According to homethodology, Eckley, Colorado is a small town located in Yuma County, Colorado. The population of Eckley is approximately 200 people, with a majority of the population being over the age of 65. The geography of Eckley is mostly flat and arid, with many farms and ranches surrounding the town. It has a semi-arid climate with hot summers and cold winters.
The history of Eckley dates back to 1883 when it was founded by a group of settlers from Iowa who were looking for new land to farm. They named it after their hometown in Iowa, which was also called Eckley. Since then, Eckley has been an agricultural community that relies on farming and ranching for its livelihood.
Politically, it is a small town that tends to lean Republican in elections. The economy here is primarily based on agriculture; however, there are also some businesses in town such as restaurants and gas stations.
Education in Eckley is provided by Yuma County School District No 1 which consists of one elementary school and one high school located within the town’s boundaries.
The most notable landmark in Eckley is the Old West Cemetery which holds graves from many settlers who first moved to this area during the late 19th century. Other landmarks include the historic Cravath Hotel built in 1895 and the historic church built in 1916 which still stands today as a reminder of early settlers who called this place home for many years.
Population: 278. Estimated population in July 2020: 273 (-1.8% change)
Males: 138 (49.6%), Females: 140 (50.4%)
Zip code: 80727
Median resident age: 31.7 years
Median household income: $23,500
Median house value: $41,900
Races in Eckley:
- White Non-Hispanic (77.0%)
- Hispanic (19.4%)
- Other race (10.8%)
- American Indian (3.6%)
- Two or more races (1.8%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (27.3%), Irish (11.5%), English (11.2%), United States (9.0%), Dutch (5.0%), Polish (2.9%).
Elevation: 3894 feet
Land area: 0.5 square miles
Eckley, Colorado is a small town with a population of just over 200 people. Located in Yuma County, the town was founded in 1887 and incorporated in 1907. The majority of the population identify as white (99.1%), followed by Hispanic or Latino (0.7%). The median age of the population is 37 years old, with a gender ratio of 51.4% female to 48.6% male.
The median household income of Eckley is $38,824, slightly lower than the national average of $55,322. The poverty rate for children under 18 living in Eckley is 11%, which is higher than the state average of 9%. Those living below poverty level make up 12% of the population and are mostly comprised of families with single mothers and children under 18 years old (44%). Senior citizens make up 13% of the town’s population and are largely retired farmers or ranchers who have lived in Eckley for generations.
For population 25 years and over in Eckley
- High school or higher: 71.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 3.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.9%
- Unemployed: 7.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Eckley town
- Never married: 14.0%
- Now married: 62.4%
- Separated: 1.6%
- Widowed: 13.4%
- Divorced: 8.6%
10.8% Foreign born (9.4% Latin America, 1.4% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +67 (+31.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Eckley:
- YUMA DISTRICT HOSPITAL – CAH (about 15 miles; YUMA, CO)
- WRAY COMM DIST HOSPITAL – CAH (about 20 miles; WRAY, CO)
- HAXTUN HOSPITAL DISTRICT – CAH (about 34 miles; HAXTUN, CO)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Eckley:
- COLORADO PLAINS REGIONAL (about 51 miles; AKRON, CO; Abbreviation: AKO)
- RENNER FLD /GOODLAND MUNI/ (about 76 miles; GOODLAND, KS; Abbreviation: GLD)
- MC COOK MUNI (about 132 miles; MC COOK, NE; Abbreviation: MCK)
Other public-use airports nearest to Eckley:
- YUMA MUNI (about 15 miles; YUMA, CO; Abbreviation: 2V6)
- WRAY MUNI (about 18 miles; WRAY, CO; Abbreviation: 2V5)
- HOLYOKE (about 35 miles; HOLYOKE, CO; Abbreviation: HEQ)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Eckley:
- METROPOLITAN STATE COLLEGE OF DENVER (about 136 miles; DENVER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 12,938)
- UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO AT DENVER (about 136 miles; DENVER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 8,839)
- UNIVERSITY OF DENVER (about 136 miles; DENVER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 7,592)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF DENVER (about 136 miles; DENVER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 3,352)
- ARAPAHOE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 136 miles; LITTLETON, CO; Full-time enrollment: 3,666)
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTHERN COLORADO (about 155 miles; GREELEY, CO; Full-time enrollment: 10,983)
- AIMS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 159 miles; GREELEY, CO; Full-time enrollment: 3,722)
Private primary/middle school in Eckley:
- NEW LIFE ACADEMY (Students: 51; Location: BOX 157; Grades: KG – 5)